Thursday, August 30, 2007

In which we learn why peapods are used in Asian dishes

I enjoy eating with chopsticks. Yes, it's partly because I can do it,
but it's mostly because eating with chopsticks has a different feel
than eating with cutlery does. Chopsticks cause me to think about my
food in a different way--you have to grab some pieces of food at just
the right angle to maintain your hold on them! I have learned to eat
many different things with chopsticks, but I usually wait to pull out
my chopsticks till I am having something that at least remotely
resembles Asian food.

A few days ago, I found a food which frustrates my chopstick skills:
peas. A few days ago, I was hankering to use chopsticks and to have an
Asian-style meal, but no Asian food was on the menu for the night. So
I did the next best thing: I put my meal in a bowl and got out a pair
of chopsticks to use. The meal itself was an odd concoction (I take
full responsibility for it): bite-sized pieces of chicken breast
cooked with peas and topped with a garden salad. Not typical chopstick
fare. But as I sized up the meal, I figured that I could manage with
chopsticks quite nicely.

The peas, however, had other ideas. While the lettuce and tomatoes and
chicken, yes, even the tiny pieces of shredded carrot, were easily
lifted by the chopsticks, the peas constantly eluded capture. Finally,
I had nothing but peas left in the bowl and was almost ready to admit
defeat. My determination, however, rose to the challenge--I was NOT
going to get a spoon just to eat a few peas! But unlike rice which, no
matter how much sauce is on it, has the common decency to clump
together just a little or ride lazily and gently on the level surface
of two slightly-parted chopsticks, the peas were a bunch of
independent and free-thinking rebels who refused to go with any crowd.
Sometimes they would consent to ride the chopsticks with one other
pea, but only one other, and provided that other pea had political
views that he could agree with! It was ridiculous! Finally, I admitted
defeat, and rather than sticking to the rigid manners of the Japanese
(who hold similar views as western culture on scraping food from the
plate or bowl directly into one's mouth!), I went the Chinese route
and lifted the bowl to my lips to finish the peas off once and for
all.

That experience taught me a lot about peas. I think their independence
and political prejudice must be the reason that I see whole pea-pods
cooked in Asian dishes rather than the individual peas being given
free-reign to roam among the ingredients. Peas cooperate much better
if they're not removed from the comfort zone of their little cliches
or committees! I will definitely think 3 times about trying to eat
peas with chopsticks again!

8 comments:

DellaRose said...

HA!!!!!

or as they say LOL

Ruth Camburn. said...

weirdo

Catherine said...

I have to say...when I first read the title, I thought it said "why peapods are used in Aslan dishes." My interest was piqued.

Seriously, I ate with my hands for a few months, while living with an Indian family in India. Its one of those things which, when reporting on it at home, sound "gross" or something to people who haven't done it in context- but while I was in India it made eating almost poetic, part of a unified whole that was life. I don't know how to explain it, but I wish we ate that way here too.

I've wondered if chopsticks step from the sense of art and beauty that seems to be infused into so many areas of Asian life, in a similar fasion...

joyfully2b4u said...

DellaRose: I can picture your face as you read my post, and it makes the event and the post all the more fun knowing that you laughed with me from so far away!

joyfully2b4u said...

Fudge-eater: wierd is normal =)

joyfully2b4u said...

Catherine: I like the connection you've made between the chopsticks & eating "Indian-style" I've always wanted to try that =) However, most of my attempts at eating with my hands seem poetic only in a down-to-earth, unvarnished, undignified kind of way. then again, I guess that's poetry, too, isn't it? hm . . .

I love the practical-ness of chopsticks to my Asian friends: chopsticks are just a normal part of life--like pencils are to a student; I have to admit that they work much better at getting things out of narrow-necked bottles that forks or spoons do =) but I'm not that good with them yet!

RiftTraveler said...

So, several weeks ago, my grandparents came to visit, and we went to a restaurant near here called "The Kani House." It's kind of like the Nijo Castle, back in California, if you ever went there (and if you remember it if you did).

They provide you chopsticks to eat with, and while I enjoy eating with chopsticks, occasionally myhand goes dumb, and I momentarily forget how to do it. I usually remember afterward, but feel mortified all the same.

ANYWAY.

It was with some horror that I looked over at my father, who was also eating with chopsticks, only instead of using them to grab and lift, he would spear the chicken with one, and use the other to simply steady it, and then eat it that way. I told him he was cheating, and he told me that that was the way some Asian people he had known ate with chopsticks.

I was quite shocked at that.

Yeah. So... there it is. Not very interesting, but... neither am I.

Nice seeing you again!

-M

joyfully2b4u said...

M
Thanks for the laugh! that's quite a mental picture =) And it's nice to know that I'm not the only one whose fingers go "dumb" sometimes!