Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Losing to an Angel

August 20, 2007

First things first: I am moving. Not on the web, but I am physically
taking my things two doors down the street to move in with my
Grandmother. Why? for lots of reasons--for as many reasons as I had
for staying in my aunt and uncle's house. Yes, I prayed over the
decisions (agonized over the decision, in fact), asked advice on the
decision. And in the end, I decided to take this opportunity--no
turning back. But my cousins haven't actually gotten rid of me! No
way! I still have a key to the house =)

My grandmother loves to have company. Currently we have two set of
company for the night: we have a couple girls from a travelling
ministry team that gets neighborhood kids to play basketball and
listen to a gospel message, and we have the Espadas. The Espadas have
actually been here all weekend since they presented their ministry in
church on Sunday. They are a missionary couple from Puerto Rico.
Margaret actually harks from Kansas, and she has the fair complexion
to go with it. Angel, on the other hand, is Puerto Rican through and
through. They are a quiet couple, but we have had lots of fun.
Tonight, we decided to play a game. Grandma's favorite is Scrabble,
but because Angel is not as fluent in English as the rest of us, that
would have been an unfair game to play. So we borrowed Rummikub from
Debbie, our across-the-street neighbor and taught it to Grandma.
Apparently, the Espadas play it frequently at home.

We played 4 games. Angel won three of them--in spite of having trouble
at times telling what color the pieces were (the blue and the black
and the red all looked very alike!). Who would have thought that
losing to an angel could be so much fun?

=)

3 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Hi Joy! Have fun living with your grandma. Where are you working?

spitgirl said...

Oy. This is a good thing to know... let me Email you and let you know why.

joyfully2b4u said...

I'm working at Sylvan again this year and doing tutoring--and I'm typing blind because the MAC I'm using doesn't like blogger, so I hope this comment actually works =)