Saturday, June 17, 2006

Spider Killer

There's a fairy tale about the tailor who killed 7 flies with one blow and was so proud of himself that he stitched "7 with one blow" on his belt and went out into the world to try his fortune; as fairy tales usually go, everyone read his belt, mistook the 7 for seven men, and were duly afraid of him. Well, folks, be afraid, be very afraid. My count today has mounted into the double digits, I am sure. (kindly ignore the fact that I do not have a very good head for remembering numbers). No, I was not killing flies, nor was I out felling people, but today I became the spider's nemesis. Tomorrow is Tommy's grad and going-away party, so Mom set me to cleaning the house. Proverbs says that spiders are in kings' houses and that we are to learn something from this (probably a lesson of diligence or perseverance or espionage); I don't know about kings' houses, but I do know that they are in our house! We have these tiny spiders that don't build big webs and instead lurk in corners of shelves and windows and eat bugs tinier than themselves. I declared war on them. And I won the skirmish today. Everything I picked up to dust seemed to have one on it; every time I . . . Why in the world am I describing this???

When we first moved to California, my very first task was to clean out the spider-infested shed at the back of our rental house. "Welcome to California, the land where spiders never die by natural means!" My response? Die, spiders! Die!

I used to watch Spiderman as a kid: I loved that show. But perhaps he shouldn't come to live and work in my town: I'm really not too keen on webs anymore.

On a totally different tack--tonight my big little brother graduated from high school! The ceremony was lots of fun (long, yes, but fun). Hearing the aspirations of the seniors was exciting and interesting. A girls' quintet sang one of my favorite songs: "Shine on Me"--their harmony gave me chills. It was so beautiful! Oh, and I noticed two pink ties in the bunch: Thomas wore one, a nice respectable shade of light pink; and one other guy wore a pink tie--a hot pink one over a black shirt. So much for fashion reporting.

6 comments:

Addison Todd said...

Have you hear what Spiderman did in Civil War #2?

walljm said...

It's good to see pink getting more coverage.

joyfully2b4u said...

more coverage? is that a pun? I suppose the amount of coverage depends on the size of the article of clothing (just couldn't resist a bad joke)

joyfully2b4u said...

No, Addison, I haven't heard what Spiderman did. And what is "Civil War #2"?

Ruth Camburn. said...

There is an awesome shirt that says
"Real men wear pink."

Addison Todd said...

In Marvel's Civil War series, Peter Parker reveals his true identity. He stands up at a press conference and says "I'm Peter Parker, I've been spiderman since age 15".